1975-Present Medical Director--Pharmacology Research Institute, Newport Beach, CA
1986-1988 Medical Director--Mental Health Unit, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
1986-1989 Consulting Staff Psychiatrist--Student Health Service, UC Irvine
1988-1993 Chief Psychiatric Consultant--Cardiac Transplantation Team, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
1988-1996 Chief Psychiatric Consultant to Sleep Center--Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
1988-1989 Medical Director--Adult Psychiatry Program--Laguna Hills Hospital
1989-2008 Physician's Assistance Committee--Hoag Memorial Hospital
1990-1991 Medical Director--Partial Hospitalization Program--Laguna Hills Hospital
1992-1996 Chief of Psychiatric Division--Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
1974-2007 Associate Clinical Professor
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
University of California, Irvine
GENERAL: In above-cited positions at UC Irvine Medical Center and the affiliated Long Beach VA Hospital at least half my time was devoted to teaching. Some specific teaching assignments involved:
1974-2006: Supervision of Residents in Individual, Family, and Group Psychotherapy.
1974-1977: Coordinator and lecturer for seminar series in Group and Family Therapy for both medical students and residents at UC Irvine Medical Center.
1975-1979: Co-taught, with a UCI Professor of Literature, a seminar for graduate and post-graduate students in which novels and other literature were read from a psychoanalytic point of view.
1976-1977: Coordinator and lecturer for two separate seminar series for UC Irvine psychiatric residents on the topics of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychoses.
1978-1984: Clinical Staff Rounds at Long Beach Veterans Hospital.
ADDITIONAL TEACHING: Outside of UC Irvine.
1984-2006: Southern California Psychoanalytic Institute, Faculty Member: taught various Continuing Medical Education courses.
1985-1987: Courses on Psychopharmacology for Ph.D. Candidates at California Graduate Institute
and United States International University.
1985-1993: Lecturer in Core Curriculum on Psychoanalysis in UC Irvine Residency program
I have worked with the Pharmacology Research Institute (PRI) since its inception in 1975 and currently, have the position of Medical Director. At PRI we have conducted over 900 scientific research studies on medication effectiveness, covering a wide range of psychiatric and some neurological disorders such as migraine headaches, dementia, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy. We have done most of our studies on Major Depression and other mood disorders such as Dysthymia as well as anxiety states including Generalized Anxiety, Panic Disorders, Post-traumatic Stress Disorders and Social Phobias. In addition to studying virtually all the major psychiatric disorders, including ADHD, Schizophrenia, Adjustment Disorders, and Sleep Disorders, we have studied other parameters such as alcohol response and alcohol interaction with other drugs, placebo response, and medication side effects. We have also conducted geriatric psychiatry studies on the major psychiatric disorders, early cognitive impairment, memory loss and dementia. We have also conducted many Migraine Headache studies and smoking cessation studies.
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS AND MEMBERSHIP
Appointed Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association in 1987
American Medical Association
American Psychoanalytic Association
International Psychoanalytic Association
New Center for Psychoanalysis, Los Angeles
1. De Francisco, D.F. and Watson, D. "Uncertain Certainty--Acute Leukemia." The Experience of Dying. Chapter 24. Edited by E. Mansell Pattison. Reinhardt & Winston, 1975.
2. Pattison, E. M.; De Francisco, D.F.; Frazier, H.; Wood, P.E.; and Crowder, J. "A Psychosocial Kinship Model for Family Therapy." The American Journal of Psychiatry. Vol. 131:12, December 1975.
3. Heiser, J. F. and De Francisco, D.F. "The Treatment of Pathological Panic States with Propranolol." American Journal of Psychiatry, 1976, Vol. 133, pp. 1390-1394.
4. De Francisco, D.; Anderson, D.; Pantano, R.; and Kline, F. "Length of Hospital Stay vs. Rapid Readmission." Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 1980, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 196-197.
5. De Francisco, D. "The Child Dream and the Child Transference." The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 1986, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 93-121.
6. De Francisco, D. "Kohut's Enhancement of Classical Psychoanalysis." Psychiatric Annals, August 1986.
7. Wilcox, C.S.; Cohn, J.B.; Linden, J.; Heiser, J.; Lucas, P.B.; Morgan, D.; and De Francisco, D. "Predictors of Placebo Response: A Retrospective Analysis." Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 1992, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 157-162.
8. Wilcox, C.S.; Ryan, P.J.; Morrisey, J.L.; Cohn, J.B.; De Francisco, D.F.; Linden, R.D.; and Heiser, J.F. A Fixed-Dose Study of Adinazolam-SR Tablets in Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Prog. Neuro-Psychopharmacol. &Biol. Psychiat., 1994, Vol. 18, pp. 979-993.
9. Wilcox, C.S.; Cohn, J.B.; Katz, B.B.; Guarino, J.J.; and De Francisco, D. "Short- and Long-Term Placebo and Active-Controlled Studies of Mianserin in Outpatients with Major Depression." International Clinical Psychopharmacology, 1994 Vol 8, No 4, pp. 271-279.
10. Wilcox, C.S.; Katz, B.B.; Morgan, D.L.; Morrissey, J.L.; Schneider, A.L.; and De Francisco, D. "Increasing Ethnic Diversity and Managed Care: How Will They Influence Research Patient Recruitment in the 1990’s?" Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 1996, Vol. 32, pp. 193-200.
11. De Francisco, D.F. A Physician’s Experience as Both a Researcher and a Clinician [Invited Paper, Special Report Issues] Psychiatric Times, XVII (6): 57-60, June 2000
12. De Francisco, Don. “The Greater the Artistry, the Greater the Danger,” Violence in the Media: A Symposium, American Journal of Forensic Psychiatry, 2000, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 27-29.
13. De Francisco, Don. “In the Long Run, We Are All Dead,” Response to an Article by Jack Kevorkian, Solve the Organ Shortage: Let the Bidding Begin, American Journal of Forensic Psychiatry, 2001, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 52-57.
14. Wilcox, C.S.; Linden, R.D.; D’Amico, M.F.; De Francisco, D.F.; Morrissey, J.L. and Heiser, J.F. “Nefazodone in the Treatment of Elderly Patients with Depression”, Today’s Therapeutic Trends, 20(2): 183-196, 2002.
15. Gottschalk, L.; De Francisco, D.; Bechtel, R. “Computerized Content Analysis of Some Adolescent Letters of Napoleon Bonaparte: A Test of the Validity of the Method", Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases, 2002, Vol. 190, No. 8
ABSTRACTS AND ORAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Wilcox, C.S.; Cohn, J.B.; Katz, B.B.; Mijares, C.P.; De Francisco, D.F.; Heiser, J.F.; and Linden, R.D. A Placebo-Controlled Study of Two Arylpiperazines in Outpatients with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). 31st Anual Meeting, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 15, 1992.
2. Wilcox, C.S.; Heiser, J.F.; Cohn, J.B.; Dale, J.L.; Linden, R.D.; Katz, B.B.; Morrisey, J.L.; and, De Francisco, D.F. "Placebo Response in G.A.D. Trials: An Analysis of Purported Predictors", 32nd Annual Meeting, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Honolulu, Hawaii, December 14, 1993.
3. De Francisco, D. “Forensic Implications of Psychoanalytic Observation on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Forensic Examiners, 1996.
4. De Francisco, Don. "Stranger Anxiety in Traumatic Stress." Paper presented at the 5th annual meeting, European Conference on Traumatic Stress, Maastricht, The Netherlands, July 1997.
5. Wilcox, C.S.; Morrissey, J.L.; Heiser, J.F.; Katz, B.B.; Schneider, A.L.; Bacon, P.F. and De Francisco, D. F. “Protocol Design and Predictors of Placebo Response: Studies with Antidepressants and Anxiolytics,” 36th Annual Meeting, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Kamuela, Hawaii, December 10. 1997.
6. Wilcox, C.S.; Morrissey, J.; Heiser, J.F.; Katz, B.B.; Cho, F.; Grosz, D.; Linden, R.D.; and De Francisco, D.F. “Patients' Motivations as Potential Predictors of Placebo Response: Yesterday and Today.” 37th Annual Meeting, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Loas Croabas, Puerto Rico, December 14, 1998.
7. Wilcox, C.S.; Cho, F.E.; Heiser, J.F.; Morrissey, J.L.; Katz, B.B.; Grosz, D.E.; and De Francisco, D.F. “Placebo Response in Depression Studies: Do Previously Reported Predictors Have any Utility?” 39th Annual N.C.D.E.U. Meeting, Boca Raton, Florida, June 2, 1999.
Content copyright 2014. Don De Francisco, M.D., Ph.D. All rights reserved.
Dr. De Francisco
Request an Appointment